Koshary is a very popular main dish in Egypt, it is a meal of integrated nutritional value that consists of pasta, rice and lentils. Preparation time for this meal is and cook time is . The following ingredients will serve 10 dishes.
This recipe is categorized as +50 Calories
- 1/2 kg white rice
- 1/2 kg Spaghetti
- 1/2 kg Ditalini shaped pasta
- 1/4 kg Lentils (Brown skinned “Masoor”)
- 1/2 kg Chickpeas (drenched in water for half an hour)
- 1 kg Tomatoes
- 1/2 kg onions
- 1.5 cups of cooking vegetable oil
- Red pepper
- Chop the onions into slices and fry in the whole amount of oil until it becomes golden with continuous stirring until it becomes crispy.
- Drain the oil from the onions by leaving them on a cooking paper.
- Boil the Spaghetti and the Ditalini shaped pasta together then filter them from water.
- After filtering mix with some of the oil used in frying the onions to add taste.
- Boil the lentils then mix them with some of the oil used in frying the onions then add salt and cumin.
- Fry the vermicelli with the same oil used in frying the onions then add white rice (After washing the rice with water, salt and cumin)
- Make a tomato juice using a blender
- To make the Koshary sauce chop the garlic then add some salt then fry in the same oil used with previous steps then add the tomato juice, salt and another amount of garlic then leave on heat until it becomes thick sauce.
- Cook the chickpeas in plenty of water with the addition of garlic, salt and cumin.
- To make a hot sauce take some of the Koshary sauce in step 8 then add Red Pepper
- For serving add 2 spoons of rice then add the Pasta then add the lentils then sprinkle the fried onions then add the chickpeas and at last add the Koshary sauce.