In this tutorial we will overview the required steps to move your domain name from one registrar to another. This guide will work in different situations like:
- You want to move your domain name from one registrar to another.
- You’ve sold your domain name and want to move it to your buyer.
Please note that according to the ICANN rules you are prohibited from transferring a domain name for a 60 days period in case you:
- Newly Registered or transferred domain names must stay with the same registrar for a 60 days period.
- Updating the registrant contact’s organization (WHOIS Records) also triggers a transfer lock for 60 days.
Steps To Transfer a Domain Name
- Remove any WHOIS privacy on the domain records to make sure you are able to receive emails to address listed on the domain WHOIS records.
- Go to the current registrar and request the removal of the transfer lock on your domain (Unlock the domain name)
- Request the secret transfer code aka EPP code for your domain from the current registrar.
- Purchase a transfer from the new registrar and enter the required EPP code.
- Your new registrar will send a confirmation E-mail to the email listed in the WHOIS records. Sometimes you may have to click a link to confirm the transferring process.
- Once you confirm the E-mail the transfer process will proceed within 5 days.